Stolby nature reserve

The vast forest of the Stolby nature reserve.


After seventeen hours of train I arrived at Krasnoyarsk. The city is pleasantly build along the huge Yenisei river. But the main reason I stopped here was to go see the Stolby nature reserve. It's only 10 km from the city and can be reached with a city bus. I went there with Louis and his dad, Malcolm from London. I met them in Ulan-Ude and by coincidence we were in the same train/hostel in Irkutsk and Krasnoyarsk. That's one of the crazy thing about the trans-Siberian, you always meet the same people again and again on your journey.
In the bus, we met Aptem, a local guy who was also heading to Stolby to hike. He became our guide for the day. He showed us the best spots. We also met three Ukrainian tourists and they came with us. They all shared their food with us poor westerner who didn't bring anything. It was a wonderful day and more than the beauty of Stolby, I will always remember the hospitality and generosity of  Aptem and the Ukrainians.

Rock formation found all around the reserve.


Cheeky chipmunks stuffing his face with the rest of my apple.


Chipmunks.


One of the Ukrainian who hiked with us. I think he is secretly a Disney princess.


From left to right, Aptem (read: Artyom), Malcolm, Me, Louis.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hanoi

The japanese alps

Rotorua