Finish

My itinerary. Starting from Bali, I stopped using airplanes.

After nine month of travel I am finally home in Switzerland. I left February 9th 2018 and came back November 2nd 2018. I found my apartment like I left it. A thin layer of dust had settled down on the floor. A few shops had changed in my city of Bienne, but like every winter the mist was already here. I was happy to see my family and friends again. Now is time for me to put away my backpack and search for a new job.

Before I leave this blog, here are some numbers that might be interesting if somebody wants to do a similar trip. While I wanted to go from New Zealand to Switzerland without airplanes, in the end I decided to use airplanes between New Zealand - Australia - Indonesia. There was 3 boat options: 1. taking a cruise, but it was out of my budget, 2. boarding a cargo ship, but it was also expensive and would have taken a few more months to cross Oceania, 3. find a private ship owner that let you work for them, but it can take half a year or more to find such an opportunity. Giving up the boat for Oceania saved me a lot of time and money. From Bali, I only used land and marine transports. It was sometimes challenging, but worth the effort. I ended up in places I would have never seen by plane and met incredible people along the way.

Days of travel: 267
Country visited: 17
Continents visited: 3
Airplanes used: 6
Train used: 44
Bus used: 53
Boat used: 15
Money used: ~25'000 CHF
Money used per day: ~93.63 CHF

Note, when I count the transports I only count transport used to move between 2 distant locations. Bus or tram inside a city are not counted. When there was a connection, I count each transports separately.
Note, at the time of travel 1 Swiss Franc (CHF) ~= 1 US dollar (USD). The money used comprise everything, food, hostel, transport, activity, health insurance, visa, etc...

As of today, all the countries I have visited in my life. There are still a lot of places I need to see, especially in the southern hemisphere.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hanoi

The japanese alps

Rotorua